• 805-278-2907
  • 3400 W. Gonzales Rd. Oxnard, CA 93036
  • Mon - Fri: 7:00 am - 4:00 pm
EnglishSpanishFilipinoVietnameseChinese (Simplified)

Work Permit FAQ’s


Frequently Asked Questions

If you are a minor, you need a work permit to work, even during the summer.

Work permit applications are available in the C&CC and at the Administration Office reception desk.  Students should use the school application form and not a form available online because the school application (on green paper) requires all the information necessary to complete your work permit.

You will need the following:

Students are eligible for a work permit with a 2.0 or higher GPA based on the last completed quarter/semester.  If you don’t have an eligible GPA, you will need to request a waiver from Ms. Gallagher (formerly Erdmann) in Room E115.  If your waiver request is approved, it will need to be signed by an Assist. Principal, the Principal, a parent/guardian, and you.  Waivers are conditional, meaning that your GPA will need to be 2.0 by the end of the next grade period.  If your GPA is not eligible, your work permit will be pulled and you won’t be able to work until you bring your GPA up to 2.0.

Incomplete WP applications will not be processed.  Work permits must be legible.  If the information on your application can’t be read, it will be returned.  Besides your name, address and phone number, the WP application requires the following additional information:

  1. Your student ID
  2. The last 4 digits of your social security number
  3. Student signature
  4. Your grade level
  5. The business information (Completed by the employer)
  6. The business Worker’s Compensation Insurance company information
  7. The employer’s phone number (must be legible)
  8. Your supervisors name (printed and signature legible)
  9. Signature of parent or guardian

After your WP application is completed, turn it in to the College & Career Center for processing. Work permit applications take up to 3 business days to process.  They are not completed the day you turn it in so the sooner you turn it in, the faster your permit can be processed for you.

If your work permit is incomplete or not legible it will not be processed until all the information is legible. 

PLEASE MAKE SURE THE EMPLOYER’S NAME, ADDRESS, PHONE NUMBER, PRINTED NAME AND SIGNATURES CAN BE READ.  If not, you will need to call the employer for clarification before you WP application can be processed.

Please see the following guidelines from the Department of Education:

General Summary of Minors’ Work Regulations

Unless your work permit is pulled due to a lower than 2.0 GPA, work permits expire September 5th of each year, regardless of when you obtained it.

Make sure you obtain a new application when school starts so your new permit can be available before it expires.